17 Best Top-Paying Side Hustles You Can Start Today
Do you want to know what are the side hustles that pay well? Sure, in this article I am going to bring to you the top side hustles that pay the most. But first, let’s define a side hustle!
A side hustle can help you during career change and to mask employment and skill gaps.
According to a 2019 Bankrate survey, around 45% of working Americans have a side hustle outside of their main job.
There are many reasons you would want to take up a side hustle:
- It gets you extra income to reduce your financial stress.
- It allows you to pursue a passion or skill that you wouldn’t otherwise explore in your main job.
- It provides an opportunity for you to explore a different field.
- It polishes your skills, especially if you have a creative outlet.
- It pumps value into your resume, especially if you have an employment or skill gap.
In this article, I’ll talk about:
- Side hustles that pay well – Lucrative side hustles
- 17 profitable side hustles you can start today
- The relative pay you can get through each side hustle
- The best way to leverage a side hustle on your resume
Here is a list of 17 most profitable side hustle ideas that are categorized based on their hourly wage and earning potential:
1. Online Tutoring
When we talk about side hustles that pay well, we have to start with the easiest one, Online tutoring! The biggest advantage of online tutoring is the convenience involved. For instance, you set the timing and frequency of the tutoring sessions. You can also have as many or as few sessions as you want. This makes it a great and easy side project to transition into.
Students of all nationalities and age groups can be potential customers. And you can organize tutoring sessions for a variety of topics, such as:
- Traditional subjects like math or science
- Playing musical instruments
- Religious education
- Foreign languages to English-speaking students and English to ESL students
Online tutors working on their own are typically paid around $100 per hour once they establish themselves. This is why online tutoring is one of the best paying side hustles out there.
If you don’t have students of your own, you can always sign up with an online platform to book candidates such as Chelsea International Education, Wyzant or Varsity Tutors and get paid $20-$80+/hour, depending on how you price your services.
2. Personal Training
Are you a fitness enthusiast? Do you know your way around weight resistance training? Do you have a wealth of knowledge about nutrition and exercise?
You can use your knowledge, experience, and skills to provide personalized training to people, either in person or through online lessons. You can also use your phone to broadcast lessons for a group of clients if you prefer online lessons. Any blogger talking about side hustles that pay well would definitely tell you that personal training is a top one on the list.
Many people are happy to pay for a personal trainer. On average, personal trainers earn around $70 per hour. Thus, personal training is one of the best side hustle ideas in 2022.
If you already have a home gym, then you likely won’t even need to make any additional investments.
Getting a nutritionist certificate can also help you provide better dietary and fitness advice for your clients.
3. Managing Social Media and Digital Operations for SMEs
Small to Medium Enterprises (SMEs) are heavily reliant on outsourcing for most of their digital operations. These companies often need help with different parts of their business. For instance, they might outsource their social media management, seek a content writer to build their website, or need a data analyst to crunch critical information.
Simply managing social media platforms for SMEs can pay upwards of $58 per hour. That’s why this must be included on our list of side hustles that pay well!
4. Freelance Graphic Designing
If you have a background in graphic design, then you can easily transition into freelancing. There are a variety of companies and individuals who need artists to translate their vision into reality.
You can use your graphic design skills to make company logos, project posters, company cards, and story illustrations. And you can do this all within the comfort of your home. In fact, this would be the best side hustle job for you!
The average hourly wage for freelance graphic designers is $29 per hour. If you already own a graphic tablet or graphic editing software, you have all you need to begin. And this would be our 4th pick today for side hustles that pay well!
5. Party Planning
If you enjoy planning events, are highly organized, enjoy working with people, and are great at following tight deadlines, you should consider becoming an event planner.
Becoming a part-time events planner can help you make a lot of money, especially if these events are planned for weekends. A social planner can make anywhere from $12 to $75 per hour, plus vendor commissions, which makes party planning among our top picks for side hustles that pay well.
You can start by volunteering to plan and organize a birthday party, a housewarming party, or a bridal shower party. This is an easy way to build your reputation and portfolio.
The best thing about this side project is that it requires no initial investment. All you need is a can-do attitude and a detail-oriented mindset. This is out of no doubt one good side job to double the money!
6. Driving for Uber
One of the top-paying side hustles you can start today is driving for Uber. The requirements to become an Uber driver are extremely simple. If you have a smartphone with high-speed internet, a driver’s license, and a car in good working shape, you can become an Uber driver.
The average rate for Uber drivers in the US is $19.43 per hour. And this is basically why it’s one of the side hustles that pay well!
Below are some tips to keep in mind to become a great Uber driver:
- First, get familiar with the Uber app and understand how to operate it well.
- Second, have a positive attitude. Greet your riders with a smile. If the rider seems friendly, talk to them about their day. But if the rider doesn’t show interest in speaking with you, it’s better to stay quiet.
- Third, accessorize your Uber with an aux cord, a charging cable, and any other accessory that can make the ride comfortable and enjoyable for the rider.
Good customer service is the basis of achieving a 5-star rating; the higher your rating, the more you’ll get chosen for rides.
7. Freelancing on Upwork
Freelance websites such as Upwork and Freelancer have been instrumental in revolutionizing the way professional tasks are completed worldwide. These jobs will always be among side hustles that pay well!
Skills such as web development, programming, and graphic design are always in high demand. Small companies in particular look for freelancers to complete projects at an affordable price. Working as a freelancer can help you take advantage of this need and make money. Average freelancer hourly pay in the United States is approximately $17.96, but you get to set your own wage on Upwork. That makes freelancing one of the most lucrative side gigs.
But you don’t need technical skills to become a freelancer; you can also capitalize on your creative skills.
For instance, you can leverage your fluency in English or writing. There are a vast number of clients who need help with their blogs, story, or assignments. Moreover, many clients need help editing or proofreading their work. There are even people looking for creative individuals to translate their vision into art pieces.
Check out freelance online and you will see that there are so many ways you can leverage your skills and talent. You can literally start today.
Have people praised you for taking good photos? If so, photography maybe is a side hustle that you can start today. This was top of our list of side hustles 2019, and continues to be one of the top side gigs. It’s actually also one of the easy side hustles to start.
Having a good understanding of what makes a good picture and basic editing skills are critical to making this a lucrative side project.
If you don’t have one, you will need to invest in a proper kit in addition to buying a subscription for photo editing software.
Consider covering a friend’s birthday party or wedding reception. Play around with your photo editing software to learn its ins and outs. Build a portfolio that you can upload online for potential customers.
You can also do landscape and wildlife photography and sell them on stock websites such as Adobe Stock, Shutterstock, or Etsy. Additionally, you can also build a reputation for being a great pet photographer. Photography is among our top side hustles that pay well!
To generate leads, you can collaborate with bloggers and Instagram influencers. When they use your photographs, you will get a shout-out, which can generate more leads for you.
9. Walking Dogs
If you love dogs, this might be one of the best side hustles that pay well. You can take a break from your busy routine, get out of the house, and exercise, and all while being around dogs.
Dog-walking can pay $16 per hour, which makes it one of the high paying side hustles in this field.
Here are some tips to mastering the dog walk:
- Get a front-clip harness or leash. It will pull the dog from the front and the dog won’t fight against it.
- Make sure that you clean up after your pet. For this purpose, always bring a poop bag along.
- Bring a water bottle so that your dog doesn’t feel dehydrated. You can also bring a toy for your dog that you can throw for them so they can run around for a bit.
10. Car Washing and Auto Detailing
Car washing and auto detailing is one of the most lucrative and top-paying side hustles that you can start today. And that’s why it’s included on our list of side hustles that pay well!
Here’s why it’s lucrative:
- The barrier to entry to auto detailing is lower than other side projects. This means you can start earning profits pretty quickly.
- It is easy to retain clients if they like your work. You can quickly build a loyal customer base that can grow due to positive word-of-mouth.
- Average car wash hourly pay ranges from approximately $8.75 to $20.21 per hour.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Purchase some basic equipment.
- Educate yourself on standard car detailing techniques.
- Build your skills by washing, polishing, and detailing your own car.
- Advertise to your friends and family to start building a customer case.
You can easily turn your passion for baking (or cooking) into a side project. This is doubly true if you’re already baking on the regular.
The average hourly rate for part-time bakers is $13.02 per hour. This could be a great opportunity for you, and is one of the best side hustles that pay well
To start, consider joining school bake sales. Set up a stall at the local farmer’s market or festival where you can sell your baking products.
You can also offer a home-based pick-up service; take a limited number of orders per week. Moreover, you can ask a local bakery to sell your cakes or brownies for a small fee.
If you’re serious about taking up baking as your side project, remember to do the following before you start:
- Create a business plan: Outline what you’re going to offer, at what price, how much it’s going to cost you, and how you’re going to sell your products.
- Figure out your recipes and costs: Keep things simple to start with. Pick a product you know you can make well and will sell well.
- Finalize your recipes: Test your products until you’re happy with customer feedback. Having a winning product makes achieving success easy.
- Take great shots of the baked goods: If you’re not confident of your photography abilities, ask your friends for help.
- Advertise online: Setting up a Facebook page or Twitter page is one of the easiest ways to create an online presence.
If your blog delivers valuable content to an audience, you could earn a generous amount of income from it in the long run. In their first year, bloggers usually make around $500-$2000 per month if they consistently post valuable content. This also will always be one of the top side hustles that pay well!
The good thing about blogging is that you don’t have to work on it every day. You need a few hours a week to research, develop, and deliver great content. Once you have a consistent posting schedule, you’re good to go.
Some of the ways to make money via blogging on WordPress include:
- Blog content monetization: Affiliate marketing, Google AdSense, or sell sponsored blog posts.
- Paid membership website: Limit valuable information for members only.
- Paid webinars and online courses: Make money while teaching something you’re passionate and knowledgeable about.
- E-Commerce business via WooCommerce: Add a plugin to your WordPress and set up a new store in minutes. The sky’s the limit in terms of what you can sell.
The best thing about blogging is that anyone can do it.
All you need is a strong fluency in English. And if you want to learn the technical details, there are hundreds of free tutorials available online. There is a very small knowledge barrier for starting this side hustle.
13. Selling Products on E-Commerce Websites
For example, you can make and sell…
- wedding cards
- hand-dyed yarn
- stickers and enamel pins
- charms and even clothing
About half of Amazon sellers make $1,000-$25,000 per month. It is and will always be one of the top side hustles that pay well!
The best part of this business model is that almost all operations can be outsourced. For instance, manufacturing and transportation, etc.
For example, you can hire a company to print your designs on a sticker, enamel pin, cap
or t-shirt. These companies might even help you with shipping. Also, in addition to
shipping service, companies like GS-JJ pins and CustomSticker even offer free design
assistance. There is no shortage of companies who you can collaborate with to bring
your dream products to life.
There is no skill you cannot translate into a profitable product. Once you’ve picked a skill, define a price point, and set up shop.
14. Renting Out Your Spare Room on Airbnb
If you have a spare room in your house, you can consider renting it out through Airbnb. In addition to generating a good amount of income, the two biggest benefits of renting your spare room on Airbnb include:
- Zero dollars spent on marketing because Airbnb will add your location to its home page itself whenever someone searches for a place near your area.
- You don’t have to sell anything.
Airbnb hosts make an average of $924 per month. But that income can vary dramatically depending on where you’re based, the quality of your house, and the services you provide.
In the US, San Diego and Miami are known to be the top-earning cities on Airbnb, with an average two-bedroom house grossing over $53k in AirBnB income a year. This makes using Airbnb an incredibly lucrative earning opportunity. So if you’re ready to rent your spare space, this could be one of the top side hustles that pay well for you!
15. Creating Content on Youtube
Similar to blogging, Youtube is one of the top-paying side hustles that you can start today to invest time and effort into. All you need to do is consistently create valuable and enjoyable content. Indeed, your earnings will grow with your viewership. So it’s another great pick for side hustles that pay well!
There are many ways to earn from Youtube. For instance, you can monetize your account with AdSense. In addition to that, you can do sponsored videos for companies.
Moreover, you can earn via affiliate marketing. There are a variety of ways to earn through your YouTube channel. One great benefit of monetizing your account is that old, monetized videos can easily become a recurring income from your videos.
Perhaps the best part of this side project is that you can make content for whatever you are passionate about.
- Do you love doing makeup and creating looks? Then you can review products and share makeup tutorials.
- Do you like fitness exercises? Then you can make content on fitness exercises and show your passion for physical fitness.
- Do you love cars? Then you can share maintenance tips.
- Do you love unboxing? Then you can make videos where you are unboxing mystery boxes.
- Do you enjoy celebrity gossip? Then you can talk about celebrities and share updates from their lives.
16. Selling Your Art Online
Moreover, it is very easy to set up a social media presence on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter to showcase your work.
Making paintings on demand is also turning out to be a fairly big business all over the world. Many artists charge around $2000-$5000 for a single piece. You can earn a similar amount of money if you invest time and effort in building your artist brand.
Most successful artists have their own websites where they share their own artwork. Setting up your online portfolio using Squarespace is very easy. They also use several platforms, such as Instagram and Facebook, to engage with followers.
17. Flipping Cars
Car-flipping involves buying used cars at a relatively lower rate than the market and selling them for a profit. This side hustle can help you make significantly large profits, especially if you know a lot about cars. Cars between the range of $1,500-$4,000 can net a profit of $1,000-$2,000.
Make sure to check the laws for car flipping of the state you’re in to see how many cars you can sell in a year without a dealer’s license.
For instance, California residents can sell five cars per year without becoming a dealer.
As long as the car is priced lower than the market rate and you can fix it up quickly, it should make a good flip.
The Value a Side Hustle Adds to Your Resume
There’s more benefit to taking up a side hustle than just making more money.
A good side hustle adds value to your resume as well.
You can learn transferable skills during a side hustle. For example, you can learn customer service management, deadline management, and leadership. Moreover, you can learn new technical skills that can help you transition into a new career.
This is why adding a side hustle into your resume can be incredibly beneficial. It becomes an additional source of proof of skills a recruiter is looking for.
There are several ways to include a side hustle in your resume.
If your side project falls within your field of interest, then you can treat it like any other job. With the rest of your professional experiences, add in your…
- job title (What would your title be if you were hired full-time for the same job?)
- company name (You can give your sole proprietorship a name and use it for your resume.)
- dates of employment
If your side hustle isn’t directly related to your field or target industry, then the best thing you can do is make a separate section for the side hustle. You can name this section: Side Projects, Freelance Work, (Field) Experience e.g. Photography Experience, or Volunteer Experience.
For example, suppose you’re applying for a marketing job and your side project is blogging. By including success stories from your side project, you can naturally incorporate keywords related to digital marketing and analytics into your resume.
The key point to remember in either case is to include relevant or transferable skills in your resume. You can add them in the skills section of your resume and also as accomplishments.